fbpx

Reply To: Moral Support: Floggings will Continue Until Moral Improves

Home Forums Forum Moral Support: Floggings will Continue Until Moral Improves Reply To: Moral Support: Floggings will Continue Until Moral Improves

Ellen Saunders
Participant

I like reading other people’s writing about their process. I don’t know how many famous authors whose work I LOVE have written that they 1) threw their manuscript away, 2) were convinced it was utter crap and had to be talked out of deleting it off their hard drive or 3) started excited about their manuscript but by the time they finished it honestly could not tell if it was good or a steaming pile of crap.

In other words, they almost all have this massive crisis of confidence and plunging faith in their own work/*judgement* of their own work, often beginning at the “muddy middle.”

I find it reassuring to know that this is a common theme, that nearly everyone who’s “made it” has had such a bout of angst (sometimes with every. damn. book.) It’s not just that it makes them human; it makes me realize my fears aren’t outsized or bizarre. “Oh, that mid-book/end-of-book/revision Confidence Chasm, yeah, all writers have that” leaves me quite relieved.

YMMV. *grin*

Skip to toolbar